Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lottery or Marriage?

I was proposed to last night.

A positive statement. A simple statement. A statement that by now you have formed opinions about. Your opinions are formed from what you know about me and what you think you know about me.

Did you ask if I was dating someone that you didn't know about?
Did you think I had rekindled flames with an ex?
Did you possibly think it was a cute offer from a kid?
Or possibly a joke from a coworker or friend?

The truth is you don't really know what happened.

But because I like you, I will tell you. I know I have some pretty creative friends. I would love to know what went on in your feisty brains.

No, I'm not dating anyone.
I'm not rekindling flames, as those coals have been cold for some time now.
It was not a cute offer from a kid or a joke from a friend.
It was a sincere offer and proposal of marriage.

Without a ring.

From my neighbor.

My 55+ year old neighbor.

For some reason last night as we were both taking out our trash, we started talking and got on the subject of debt. He was excited to tell me that he is debt free and starts a new job in Dallas this weekend. I expressed slight envy at his financial freedom, but added in the disclaimer that I know God would provide for Ryot and me.

Neighbor: "The way I see it, you have two options. First, you can pray that I win the lottery. I have 3 daughters: my oldest, my youngest and you. I will keep 1 million for myself and give the rest away. Or the second option is to marry me."

After I got done laughing for a solid 30 seconds, I said, "I better start praying for that lottery right now, then!" He abruptly stopped laughing.

Neighbor: "I'm serious. I would spoil you rotten. You wouldn't have to worry about anything and Ryot would have whatever she wanted."

I froze.

Oh. my. word. He is serious! Well, this situation suddenly became incredibly awkward. I laughed and said that is a sweet offer but that's not what I'm looking for, at all. He told me that the offer would always be on the table if I changed my mind. He waved bye to Ryot and was on his way.

That is NOT how I imagined my next marriage proposal would be. But then again, not much in my life is normal right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment