Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Exhausted

I am exhausted today. I haven't solidly slept in two weeks since the sweetness has been sick. I'm fairly certain that is why I am feeling so run down. My throat is sore and I can barely keep my eyes open at work. My sweet friend brought her adorable pregnant self and gorgeous 1 yr old to my work to give me soup and some meds to kick this sickness in the butt. I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends! The plan for tonight is to go home, feed the sweetness some dinner, turn on a movie for her to watch and go to sleep. She would benefit just as much as I would from an early bedtime. That is the plan, anyways.

Also, it was brought to my mind today that I don't like music in which the lyrics don't make sense. I have thought about this a lot today and I realize it stems from one simple trait that I'm fairly certain I share with the majority of the human race. I don't like doing things that I'm not good at. One example being that I love watching baking shows but it slightly irritates me at the same time because I would definitely not enjoy spending hours making tiny little roses on a huge cake. Attention to teeny tiny details is not really my strong suit. I love watching sports, but I loved playing sports so it makes sense. So when it comes to music, I have a strong connection. I play piano (a little) and love to sing (in the shower...or the car...or while I'm doing the dishes....ok nevermind, I love to sing everywhere I go). It's completely normal and expected to accomplish the things in life that you enjoy. And further, it's completely natural to enjoy the things that come easily to you.

What spurred this thought was a song called White Sky by Vampire Weekend. It has a catchy tune that helps the work day progress easily. The song seriously makes me happy when I hear the intro. So naturally I looked up the lyrics to see what the artist said along with this happy melody. At first glance, I had no idea what they were talking about. I had to read it a couple times to come up with an interpretation. These are the lyrics:

An ancient business
A modern piece of glasswork
Down on the corner that
You walk each day in passing
The elderly sales clerk
With eyes full of suspicion
The whole corporation's giving it permission

The little stairway
A little bit of carpet
A pair of mirrors that
Are facing one another
Out in both directions
A thousand little Julias
That come together

 In the middle of Manhattan

You waited since lunch
It all comes at once

Around the corner
The house that modern art built
I ask for modern art
To keep it out the closet
The people who might own it
The sins of pride and envy
And on the second floor
The Richard Cera Skate Park

Waited since lunch
It all comes at once

Along the park walk
Ask all of our questions
While all the horses
Race taxis in the winter
Look up at the buildings
Imagine who might live there
Imagining you're walking
On a bowl upon the sing there

You waited since lunch
It all comes at once

I think the point of the song is just highlighting different parts of the hustle of life, city life to be exact. New York city life to be even more exact. I get it now. "You waited since lunch, it all comes at once." I still have no idea what that means. But I like the song, so I will listen to it again.

Unlike Vampire Weekend, Kina Grannis sings beautiful completely understandable lyrics with her angelic voice. The perfect example being this song The One I Say Goodnight To:


This song makes me happy because it speaks directly to the hopeless romantic in me. Some day, some day...

Or her song Without Me:
This song makes me a little sad so I don't listen to it often.

Or "I Knew This Would Be Love" by Imaginary Friend ft. Kina Grannis:

Another one that I can't help but love!

Summation of rambling:

#1- I'm exhausted and my brain is only working at half capacity. Need. Sleep.

#2- I don't like lyrics that are hard to figure out. Partly because there is no possible way that I can know what is going on with the artist's life/thoughts/feelings. I don't like to guess at these things. I love to know the story, the reasoning, the muse behind actions. Maybe it's the "over analytical and yet completely hopeless romantic at the same time" that is in me.

#3- I love Kina Grannis. Her voice, her music style, her pretty face, the people she chooses to associate with. I'm on a KG kick!

That is all.
 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I've gotten to the point where I listen more than I sing and if I don't understand or agree with the lyrics I don't add my voice.

    ReplyDelete