Thursday, August 29, 2013

Battle Dreams

Crisp morning air, cold enough to see my breath. The humidity wrapped around us like a blanket. The air still, the salty taste of sweat and blood is all I can smell. So strong I can taste it. Even though the clouds are among us, I can see for miles ahead. Kneeling down for rest, I feel the ground wet from the previous night's rain.

I hear the horns ring out and the screaming of the enemy preparing for another attack. I close my eyes and take a deep breath only focusing on filling my lungs with oxygen.

I hear the horns again. The ground rumbles and shakes. The battle lines have been drawn. The fight must continue.

The horns ring out once more. I stand to my feet. I look at the soldiers standing with me, behind me, in front of me all prepared for what is ahead.

Another morning of battle.
Another chance for progress.
We are prepared and willing to sacrifice our lives.

I wait patiently for my signal.

I wake up. Turn off my alarm.
Another morning of battle.
Another chance for progress.
Are we prepared and willing to sacrifice our lives?

1 comment: