Friday, August 16, 2013

A Turning Point


First of all, thank you to everyone who has spread love, kindness and encouraging words in regards to Ryot's fire ant fiasco yesterday. I didn't count all of the bites, but I would be confident to say that she has around 10 bites on one leg and probably 20 or more on the other. Last night I let her stay up a little later and she fell asleep on my chest while we watched Narnia. So precious!!

Yesterday at 4:30pm I received a call from the daycare telling me that Ryot had stepped in the fire ant bed. The daycare director said that it had just happened, but Ryot had already stopped crying and the redness was starting to go away. She told me that it didn't look like Ryot was having an allergic reaction, she was already back to her normal happy self, and that she would call me in 15 minutes. As I was finishing some paperwork, I posted to my Facebook about the incident and was graciously flooded with advice, "oh nooooo's" and kind words of concern. Thank you to everyone! The director called me as I was leaving the office and was so kind and apologetic. She said that they would do whatever I needed them to do as far as special treatment or medicine. She told me that there wasn't any swelling and the redness had continued to go down. In fact, while I was on the phone with her, I heard Ryot's squeal of laughter and the director told me that Ryot had just skipped past her office laughing as the class was moving to a different room.

When I got the initial call about Ryot stepping in the ant bed, I had a peace. I asked if she was having any type of visible allergic reaction. I also asked if her demeanor had changed drastically. Both of the answers to that question were no, and I just had a peace about it. I saw the suggestions to go to the emergency room on my facebook but I just had a peace about a covering over Ryot for this incident. On the drive to pick Ryot up, I started doubting this peace. I had all those thoughts running through my head. It wasn't just a simple thing. I was wondering what the teachers were going while my poor baby was being eaten by those dreadful ants. I was hurting for the pain she had to go through. I was sad that I wasn't there to comfort her when it happened. I was thankful that we were so fortunate to live in a country with medicine so readily available. I was so grateful for the teachers concern and how they were loving on her. I was thankful for technology that allowed me to communicate with the school for incidents like this. Every single one of those thoughts were all short lived. They left as quickly as they came and left very little trace of their existence. However for that moment, I was distracted from my peace and I called Urgent Care. The lady was very rude, put me on hold only to tell me that she couldn't advise whether to bring Ryot in to them without them being able to see the bites first. Wait a minute...I have to bring the child to you and pay $175 so you can tell me whether I needed to bring her in to you or not? I have to pay you to tell me to give her Benadryl? Then it was an almost audible voice asking me "What are you doing?". So I told the lady thank you and drove the rest of the way to the daycare with peace in my heart.

After all of those thoughts, I was reminded of reading Bill Johnson's book The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind. I don't want to butcher the story that he told so I will do my best to just explain what it taught me instead. One of the main things that I learned from this book is to renew your mind. To praying and changing your mindset that "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." This literally means renewing your mind heavenward. I believe that there is no sickness or pain in heaven and I believe that it is God's will for it to be "on earth as it is in heaven" so that is exactly what I prayed for. I remembered a story that Bill told in the book about when he was a new Pastor. A lady brought her son to him that who was sick or hurt (I can't remember, oops) and he panicked. His froze and immediately advised to call 911. This seems like the normal response. This is the typical modern day response. Bringing heaven on earth as a reality takes a special kind of full force faith. A daily decision to defy "logic" and "rules" of this world and allow God to work through us. We ARE the hands and feet of God.

When I got to the daycare, I heard her sweet voice shouting "puppy!" accompanied with delightful giggles. I went around the corner to see her reading a book with one of her teachers. She was excited to see me and promptly told me "ant bite not nice" as she frowned and pointed to her legs. I asked her if she was ok to which she smiled and nodded while giving me a huge hug. That peace that was in my soul was now multiplied with a sigh of happy relief for my mommy heart. I asked the director and her teacher if we could pray over Ryot and we all laid hands on her to pray. I thanked God for His provision over Ryot and the other kids. I confirmed out loud that I believe it is God's nature to bring goodness and His desire for his will "on earth as it is in heaven". And I just declared that that is what we were praying for over Ryot. That the ant venom would not spread, that she would be without pain or discomfort and that He would be glorified.

And it just felt good. I'm sure there are a plethora of other words I could use to describe this feeling, this peace that surpasses all understanding, this joy that one only feels when in the center of His presence, but I have to say, it just felt good. I had not just learned something new and had a renewing in my mind, but I had the opportunity to bear fruit and follow through with my new mindset.
This is a victory for God, through me to vanquish all evil through His power.

 I am so blessed.
And just plain excited.
This was a turning point in my walk. A major step toward not just knowing who I need to be but BEING who I'm meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment