Thursday, June 26, 2014

"What's in a Name?" - 31DC3

Name. Titles. Labels. They're funny things.

Whether they are merely informational, meant to draw you in, or specifically descriptive, they have a job to do. Day 3 on the 31 Day Challenge prompted me to write about  the "Meaning of my Business Name". I don't have a business, but I do have some other names! Enjoy...

I took a quiz today on BrainFall.com asking how Texan I am. I was not surprised to receive my results that I was only 17% Texan. My Mr. likes to point out that I have lived in Texas longer than I've lived anywhere else, but it still doesn't feel like home. There are a lot of things that I feel land far inferior to the beautiful beaches in Destin, FL, but I am trying my best to make this state home. I don't know if I will live here forever, but I like the idea of living close to our families. Maybe one day I will identify as a Texan. Maybe...
(Side note to all you "Don't mess with Texas" people. The slogan "Don't mess with Texas" really has to do with littering, not some macho Texas-is-better-than-everything slogan. For real, check it out here. End Rant.)

Most of my more recent usernames for social media or shopping websites are some form of "quietryot". I didn't choose it to reference the band, Quiet Riot, because I didn't even know they existed at the time of said username creation. I chose it because I thought it was clever and it is the opposite of the Sweetness' name. She has moments of quiet, but it's usually when she is sleeping. All awake hours are full of sweet songs, gibberish, talking, whining, laughing, screaming, giggling, shhhing her baby, or crying. She doesn't have very many quiet bones in her which is why the username makes me smile.

My name was given to me at birth. Honestly, I never have particularly cared for my first name, but it's the only one I've got, so I'll keep it. My middle name, however, I love. My middle name is my Granny's first name. I like that I'm Granny's namesake. We have a special bond, a connection. I wouldn't trade that for the world. My last name currently is my old married name and I CAN'T WAIT to get rid of it. It rhymes with my first name which is really tacky, and I'm no longer any form of the girl I used to be. I'm very much looking forward to adapting a new name in 127 days. New Name. New Beginning. I like that.

This is the Kabalarian Analysis of my name:


  • Your name of Kayla creates an intense desire for association with people and new experiences, many of which have been rather bitter.
     
  • This name has given you a gregarious personality and a quick-thinking, creative, and versatile nature, but one that is unstable emotionally.
     
  • You desire change and travel and would enjoy opportunities that allowed you to be creative and to act independently, rather than to conform to system and routine.
     
  • However, this name does not allow you to complete your undertakings, as farther fields always look greener.
     
  • Although you may appear confident and positive, you actually lack confidence and feel self-conscious at times.
     
  • This name spoils patience and depth of thought, and weakens your stand in matters of principle.
     
  • You are too open to suggestion, and thus you could become involved in detrimental associations which could lead you into by-paths of thrill-seeking or emotional indulgence.
     
  • Any weakness in your health would appear in the fluid functions as kidney, bladder, or circulatory problems.
     
  • or in a sensitivity affecting your stomach.
I could agree with some and disagree with others, but is it that all people names "Kayla" have these qualities? I think that highly unlikely. You can find out your name analysis here.


What about you?
Are you a Texan?
Does your username describe you?
Do you like your given name or do you want to change it?

What's in a name?





31DC3

2 comments:

  1. I find names fascinating!! So what is your middle name?! Your new last name is very cool... I like how Kayla Garza sounds. I think God had a sense of humor when he had my parents name me Hannah. I've had people laugh and ask me if it's a joke when I introduce myself as Hannah Hinojosa. But I rather like it :) I enjoyed naming my kids... Eric and I spent hours discussing names and reading meanings! Thanks for this post :) And I have to take the Texas quiz.... I'm not Texan for sure, but that's where my husband is from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I'm always open to new names and have a running list of favorites for future babies. My middle name is Jo. My Granny's name is Jo Ann, so I was names Kayla Jo after her. I don't mind the last name Garza at all. My only complaint is I don't like how my "G" looks when I try to write it down. ha! That is so small in comparison though that it doesn't even matter! And you totally should take that Texas quiz!! Let me know what you get!

      Delete