Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Entrusted Pieces

He woke me with a nudge by his strong yet gentle hand on my shoulder.

"I'm entrusting you with these." There was urgency in his eyes but a smile on his lips. As I opened my hands, I watched as he carefully placed several pieces of a puzzle into my hands. Not too many that I couldn't hold them but enough that I had to use two hands. I sat up slowly so I didn't spill any of them. I knew they were precious. He wouldn't give me anything that wasn't precious and deserving of my undivided attention. 

For fear of losing even one piece, I dared not set them down. I tried to examine them as best as I could. I moved my hands to try to see the ones underneath but they were hidden. The ones I did see were beautiful. Well, most of them anyways. One was blue with a gold lining. One red and white speckled. One with a myriad amount of colors; some I'd never seen before. There were far more beautiful pieces than plain, that I was grateful for. As I studied the pieces I could see, I started to get discouraged. These were not only different colors that couldn't possibly go together, but they were different shapes. 

I saw he was leaving so I had to ask him quickly, "How will they fit if they don't all match?". I was confident  there had been a mistake.

As he disappeared in the distance I heard him whisper,

"They're not all for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment