Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Trusting the wind

This morning I was listening to a Tom Petty station on iTunes radio while I had an office full of people. It was the normal schedule of catching up from yesterday and planning the day ahead. When I was alone again I increased the volume so I could whistle while I worked (just kidding, I can't really whistle) and I heard Son Volt's song "Windfall" singing these lyrics:

May the wind take your troubles away.

Suddenly I was stopped in my tracks. What was I listening to? May the wind take my troubles away? What does that even mean? I changed the station to one called "3 of a kind - Hillsong, Elevation Worship, Jesus Culture". Immediately I heard these lyrics:

So let hope rise and darkness tremble in Your holy light, 
and every eye will see Jesus, our God, great and mighty to be praised!

I couldn't but smile then and even now still as a wave of peace washed over me. I just sighed aloud, a great sigh of relief. He is near, present, in communion, constant, all-knowing, loving, my Abba.

Do I want to live a life where I hope that the wind takes my troubles away, or do I want darkness to tremble in His holy light?
Do I want to sit and wait for the wind, or do I want hope to rise?
Do I trust something as quivering and unstable as the wind to remove and heal, or do I choose to conquer that which ails me?
Do I want my troubles to be just taken away and me left empty to start again or do I want my troubles to be defeated and then replenished with praise which will produce joy, peace and all forms of power?

I choose hope and life and power and purpose. 

1 comment: