Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Peppermint Façade

Me: Sweetness, guess what we are going to do?

Me: We are going to get ice cream!
Sweetness: OH YAY!

Me: Are you excited?
Sweetness: YEAH!

As we were leaving the restaurant to go get ice cream, the cashier gave her a peppermint. She almost threw a fit in the car asking me to open it.

Me: Look, we are here!
Sweetness: Opit! (open it)
Me: We can leave the mint in the car.
Sweetness: My ca-cane! Opit? (my candy cane. open it)
Me to Mr: She has this whole ice cream shop and she wants that peppermint? Is she seriously teaching us about life right now?
Mr. to Me: That sounds like a future blog post.
Sweetness: Pock ca-cane? (wanting to put the candy cane in her pocket)
Me: Yeah sure, put the little peppermint in your pocket to save it for a rainy day...ON YOUR WAY to the ice cream store where you can have whatever you want. Is this Jesus talking right now?
The Mr. chuckled a little as we made our way to the ice cream store where I'm pretty sure the Sweetness instantly forgot about the peppermint.

How many times have I done that? With my relationships? With my decisions? With my finances? How many times have I stressed over money when the Creator of the Universe has always provided for me and promises to continue to do so in the future. How many times have I held on to guilt and shame when I have been forgiven for what I've done AND what I will do in the future? I have the whole world and beyond as my playground. 

It's been difficult to learn to think outside the box; a lot more difficult than I thought. I imagined spreading my wings and soaring on the winds of freedom and fire but some days I still find myself sitting in the car holding on to that peppermint. It's much easier to live life only making the decisions that you know the outcome to. But easy is boring, and really, truly unsatisfying. Theres so much more joy, freedom and fulfillment when we jump freely knowing we will fly than permanently being grounded and controlled by the perimeters of social standards. 

I want to dance and sing because I just can't contain my love for Him. I want to ask personal questions to really get to know someone instead of merely saying hello. I want my arms to be exhausted from embrace and acceptance rather than pushing so hard to create distance.

 The cashier was being kind by offering the sweetness the peppermint. The world is full of kind, good honorable things that still can draw you away from the bigger pocture. Open your senses. Say yes. Don't settle for anything less than beautiful breath taking glory. 

It's so kind of you to offer, but no thank you, I do not like peppermints. 

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny and so true that we do that as adults. I think that God often gives us kids to show us what we look like to Him! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete