Thursday, January 8, 2015

Unanswered Prayers

A mass of hungry people had just been fed by the Great Teacher. What started with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish had overflowed into baskets as leftovers. The people all were amazed with what Jesus had done. In their excitement and passion for the Miracle Maker, they intended on making Jesus their King. Jesus knew this, so he withdrew to the mountain to be by himself. (John 6:15)

It's funny how you can hear the same story over and over and miss certain parts. This hit me like a ton of bricks the other day. The people saw the miracles and heard the teaching of Jesus and they were amazed. They had found their Savior, "the true Prophet who is to come into the world!" The one they had been waiting for! They had the best intentions and admiration for Jesus. Miracles had been performed, the thick cloud of judgment was being lifted, and was replaced by teachings and parables of grand love. They wanted to give Him the highest honor that they knew how by making Him king. Can you blame them?

I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot better than being stripped down, humiliated, beaten, wrongfully accused, and crucified by those very same people who previously wanted to exalt you as King. In my flesh I am found thinking, "You should have taken the offer when you had it." But Jesus, in His perfect Sovereignty, knew what had to be done in order to save the whole world. He made the more unpopular and difficult, but ultimately the best decision that had to be made. And it came completely out of the over-abundant love that He has for us.

How many times have I prayed and analyzed whether I had enough belief to make it happen? I can't know what God's will is, and I know that He longs for us to take things to Him in prayer. I know He longs for communication and relationship versus just plain rule following. I love that about Him. I wonder how many unanswered prayers were because I wasn't asking the right question; how many He was ultimately choosing something greater for me that I couldn't see or understand in that moment?

There are some prayers that I don't know why they aren't answered, and I may never know. I believe I am allowed to grieve over unanswered prayers, but ultimately my belief is firmly planted that God is good, all the time. I will bring my heart to Him and pour out my desires to my loving, merciful, giving Father. And in the moments that I don't receive the answer I want or an answer at all, I will still praise Him, for He works good in all things, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment