Friday, March 8, 2013

Stop. Analyze. Encourage.


Today is International Women's Day. I posted this video on my facebook earlier today with this post:

"Today is International Women's Day. I would not by any means be considered a feminist, but I did learn some new things from this video. It's not life changing, but if you have a few moments to spare you might find it interesting. This is not just for moms that are working outside of the home but those that are working IN the home as well. What can you do today to say thank you to the women in your life?"
Well after watching the video and reading some articles about the amazing things women have done and are doing in the world, I wanted to see what others were saying about it. I like to read. I like to write. I like that people read what I write. I like that some people like what they read when I write. So therefore, I like to read what other people write, especially if it's what they love to do.

Google came in handy and I searched for quotes about women. Very vague, I know, but I wanted to leave the wide interweb world open for results. What I saw was honestly a disturbing shock! The level of degradation of the view of men is heinous. It's no wonder that women complain about their men being disrepectful or lazy. Come on, people, we are setting our men up for failure! Words have a much larger impact on the human pschy than people realize! Here are some of the quotes I read:

“Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.” - Joseph Conrad

“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.”  - John Lennon

“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”  - Brigham Young

“In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.”  - Margaret Thatcher

"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him." - Groucho Marx

"I think that maybe if women and children were in charge we would get somewhere." - James Thurber

"The only really happy folk are married women and single men." - H.L. Mencken

Now there were hundreds of other good quotes speaking of women. Women's courage and strength in child-bearing. Women's sex appeal being more intellectual than physical. Women's hearts of gold. Women's undying love. Women's forgiveness that surpasses normalcy. Again...hundreds of good quotes. I was just shocked to see how many had to put men down to lift women up.

If someone is constantly telling me that I'm fat or asking if I am pregnant, I am not going to have the confidence to step out in that little black dress. If I continually tell my man how lazy and stupid he is, what is going to make him want to take initiative to do something nice for me? However, if I am encouraging his work ethic and praising him for his kindness, would that not propel him further to make sacrifices just to make me smile and provide a good life?

If I tell Ryot that she is stupid and boring, what is going to make her want to pick up a pen and color me a picture? What is the difference between talking to our men? Shouldn't we be building them up instead of nagging their faults? Shouldn't we be encouraging good habits and praising them for progress? Shouldn't we be appreciative of the things that they do for us instead of expecting to be waited on hand and foot?

Maybe it's old fashioned and outdated. I'm not even saying that I disagree with all of the quotes above. As I was reading them I was even guilty of letting out a little "amen" or a laugh every now and then. I can have a sense of humor, I just think there is a fine line of what to tease about and what not. AND I just so happen to think that putting your other half, children, friends, or anyone in your life down just so you can look better is NEVER the better option.

Wake up people! We have so much influence with our words.

Tell your girl she is beautiful. Appreciate the simple ways that she looks at you and loves you.
Tell your man that you are so thankful to be his or specifically thankful for something he did recently.
Tell your kids that they are so fun and creative. Encourage them to learn and discover!
Thank your boss for your job.
Thank your parents (blood parents or not) for the financial/spiritual/emotional support through the years.
Give more hugs.
Share a smile.
Give a just because kiss.
Send flowers.
Leave encouraging sticky notes in random places for them to find.
Give a spontaneous massage.
Plan a fun date.
Draw them a picture - even if it is bad stick people art.
Help randomly with the chores.
Cook dinner together.
Dance.

LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST.
BE ENCOURAGING.

*Disclaimer: I fail at this daily, but I will keep trying my hardest!!!*

What have you done to show appreciation and care for the ones around you lately? Do something spontaneous today!

No comments:

Post a Comment