Monday, May 4, 2015

The Big Beginning: Part Two

If you haven't, you should check out The Big Beginning: Part One. You know you want to.



"Amen."
My dear friend and officiate finished his prayer over us. I gave my very soon to be husband a big hug and walked outside. I saw my family, and the kiddos standing at the edge of the gate. I peaked around the corner to see everything set up exactly as I had dreamed. All the guests were expectantly waiting in their seats. I watched as my grandparents, and my in laws, and my aunt be ushered down the aisle. I had seen this a million times before, but not for me. This was my special day, and it was perfect.

This was really happening. I grabbed my uncle's arm and took one last deep breath as a Taylor.

Those few minutes seemed to last forever. It was a mix of beautiful emotions. I was missing people that should have been there and so overwhelmed with gratefulness for the guests, family, and friends who had worked so hard to make everything come together. I remembered how I have felt many times sitting as a guest waiting for the bride to enter. This time that bride was me.

Logistically, it was time for me to walk, but the music wasn't ready. Did people walk faster than in practice? I don't know. We had to start walking to bridge the gap between the end of the last person and me. When I got to the back of the aisle, we paused for a moment. When I looked up, my eyes locked with my best friend. He looked so handsome, and so happy, and he was looking at me. How did I get so lucky? This strong, handsome, hilarious, smart, loving, leader was looking at me as if I was the only person here. It was at this moment I froze in time and was just plain happy. All the worries of timing, decor, or people's opinions had been completely blocked out of my mind. 

Press play on this song (Everything Else Disappears by Sister Hazel) and you should instantly fall in love.


As we walked down the aisle I looked in the faces of the people that came to support us. Like a movie, this moment was in slow motion as my uncle and I made our way to my love. I saw the faces of several people, their smiles each telling part of a story of how they have influenced my life. There were others that I saw that I am looking forward to getting better acquainted with.

I reached the end of the aisle, and as my uncle gave me away I stepped into a new adventure. I felt as if right then I was given a brand new slate, an unwritten story, a blank canvas, a book of pages waiting to be filled. Our officiate, Beau, did an excellent job helping us express our devotion for each other. However, more importantly, it was our desire that people knew why we love, and the one who we are both truly devoted to, which is Jesus. Our vows to each other were promised before a group of people we dearly love, and to each other, of course, but even more toward the one who created love and gave the ultimate example of true love. A love that sacrifices, to the extent of giving up His life for us. I am so thankful to Beau for sharing our love for the Father and each other in such a beautiful way. 

We will both cherish the gift that you both, Beau and Allison, gave to us that special day. Love you people.

Jacob's sister and brother in law, our matchmakers, came up to read scriptures and lead us into a prayer. Our parents, our Lifegroup Leaders, and the matchmakers circled around us to pray. It was a sweet moment for me to thank God for such beautiful examples of Godly marriage for Jacob and I. It really is a blessing to be surrounded by so many family and friends who encourage us and help keep us accountable.

"Man and Wife". That was us. Jacob gave me a kiss, and I stole another one. It was perfect and just like us. For someone with an aversion to PDA, I think he handled it perfectly.

Then it happened. I heard the words that I had longed to hear for so long:

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Garza.

I couldn't wipe the goofy smile off my face as we walked back down the aisle to this song (Everybody by Sister Hazel):


And the song was never more true when it says:

I wanna tell everybody, everybody,
That you're so much more than they've ever even seen before!
I wanna tell everybody, everybody,
If they touch your hand, they may never wanna let you go.

I couldn't have been more happy in that moment if someone paid me. I held his hand all the way around the house until we were inside for a moment of peace.

I smiled and looked at my husband. "We're married now!" I couldn't contain my excitement as I looked at him. He said something about just getting in the truck and leaving right then and there, and I knew he wasn't joking. But of course we stayed.

We were re-introduced to the crowd as Mr. and Mrs., cute the cake, and then the conversating commenced. I tried to get some sort of food in my stomach, but my desire to hug and greet people that I love dearly trumped those grumblings.

It was all surreal, really. Time leading up to the wedding at moved at a snail's pace and now the day was here and time was flying. I wanted it to slow down. I wanted to stay in these moments forever. My beautiful dress, the perfect weather, all of those people that I love dearly. It was truly perfect.

Then as if right on cue, the Blue Angels soared through the sky. When we picked the date, we didn't know the air show was that weekend. The day before the wedding, we were worried that they would fly by during the vows and you wouldn't be able to hear us, but because we are God's favorites, they waited until the reception to give our guests some live entertainment.

After some time it was time for us to go! I couldn't find Sweetness, but I had to get changed. We had talked in great detail for several weeks leading up to the wedding what this day and the following week would look like, but I didn't really get to do that the day of. I changed into my get-away dress and headed out of the door, of course feeling like I had forgotten something.

We walked through this amazing tunnel of bubbles and the smiles on everyone's faces made my heart so glad. I felt so loved, cherished, and doted on that day. Right before we were getting in the truck, I was looking for my Sweets, but I still didn't see her. I couldn't just drive away without saying goodbye. I heard that perfect little voice, "Mama!!" and I turned around to see her running towards me. Some of my favorite pictures from this perfect day are of the conversation that took place prior to us driving away. I told her how much I loved her and how we would be right back. We shared hugs and kisses and she went with my sister.

It's a complex place to be emotionally: wanting to bring her with me, but wanting this much needed precious time with my husband.

All of the bumps in the road didn't matter at that point.
I was his and he was mine, and it was the most perfect day. 

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing your story. It makes me picture your beautiful wedding day. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete