Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ten Things

Here are ten things I'm afraid of/ can't stand.

1. I can NOT stand the sound of styrofoam rubbing together or how it feels. I don't like holding styrofoam cups, or eating off of styrofoam plates, especially if I have to cut something on the plate and the knife scrapes across plate. Even typing about it just now is giving me the chills. Gross. Obviously I'm an adult and I'm not going to throw a fit, but if I have the choice, I stay away.

2. While we are on the topic of touch, I hate microfiber or things like it. Same type of texture thing. I don't wear fleece, use microfiber cloths, and will never own the suede or microfiber couches. Gross.

3. Crabs. They can swim, and they will swim up when you can't see them under the water and PINCH YOU.

4. Needles. I hate getting shots or blood drawn. It super stresses me out and I have to really prepare myself for it. I've had my ears pierced and then re-pierced twice because the fact that the needle goes into your skin and completely out the other side really terrifies and disgusts me. Tattoos are not the same thing, people. The needles in a tattoo gun go so fast that you can't feel it prick and slide into your skin like a shot, piercing or IV. Tattoos feel more like scratching than piercing.

5. Clowns. Or really any mask. "People in masks can not be trusted." I stand by that quote.

6. Being scared. No, I'm not afraid of being afraid, but I hate being startled/scared. I'm not the person who laughs after someone jumps from behind the corner to scare me. I'm the person who might fall the floor and cry or hit you out of self-defense and then get mad. I don't like being scared.

7. Pranks. I don't like them at all. I think there is something horrible about people who like to cause someone pain, fear, or discomfort for pleasure. I don't think it's right. I don't laugh. It irritates me. I can't even watch the videos that are a compilation of fails or people hurting themselves. I don't think it's funny. I think it's painful and I hurt for them. I don't like watching the parents giving their kids bad gifts or telling them that they ate their halloween candy. It's not funny, it's just cruel.

8. Roaches. I can handle spiders, snakes, and any other type of reptile. But roaches? No way. They creep me out. They are too fast, too small, too disgusting, and terrifying. And how about the ones that fly? Forget it! I'm screaming like a child and running away. I can't handle it.

9. Being misunderstood. Communication is a huge deal to me. I really always have the best intentions and I hate that I possibly could make people feel uncomfortable, unwanted, or give the wrong impression of how I'm feeling. Sometimes as I'm opening up to my mentors or close peers that I trust, I will wonder if I did an accurate job of portraying how I really feel and the real position that my thoughts and emotions are in. It's way easier to write. I can edit. I can make sure it is saying what I want it to. Are there typos sometimes? Of course, but I at least can control the content that I'm putting out better.

10. Technology advancing too much. I love technology. I love computers and cell phones. I love the convenience of being about to search for the nearest store, get directions immediately, search recipes while I'm at the grocery store, or type in symptoms to try to figure out a sickness, and so much more. I use so much technology on a daily basis. I'm really grateful for those who were smart enough to create what we have today. But then my coworkers start talking about the possibility in the future of being able to genetically modify your children to have certain physical or personality traits and it freaks me out. We are not God. God is the only God. He is the Creator. We don't need to be messing with His designs. There are so many wonderful things that technology has created, but there is a line that I think starting to get crossed on what takes the humanity out of our world. Have you seen iRobot? It doesn't go so well. I guess I'm really just not a big fan of change, and this is a bit too much change for me.

What are you afraid of?

1 comment:

  1. I love the mask quote!! I hate roaches too. And I'm not a fan of anything medically related. I also hate being scared (as in someone jumping out and saying "boo!").

    ReplyDelete