Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Playdoh lessons

I set the playdoh on the table. Red, Yellow, Blue, and White.

"Don't mix the colors together, Sweets, ok?" I said as I walked to switch the laundry over. Then I heard a distinct, "why not?". The question didn't come from her, but it very well could have.

I stopped on my way to the laundry and turned around to walk back to the table. Then I abruptly turned back around because the laundry needed to be turned over still. I turned the laundry and then made my way back to the table.

"Sweets, do you wanna see what happens when you mix the colors together?"

Excitement filled her eyes and as if she was about to receive something magical, she whispered, "yes, momma."

The next hour was a perfect hour spent making green, purple, orange, brown, pink, light blue, light yellow and a variety of other random not named colors. That hour was perfect. The dishes needed to be done, the floors were crying for a broom, but this is what I NEEDED to do.

I wonder what other things that I am saying why to that I need to be saying why not to, instead.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!! My mum, when I was pregnant with Juanito, challenged me to say yes when I'm able, in cases where the only reason for no is to make my life easier. There are so many occasions where no is a necessary and good answer! But why don't I let him explore with sticks in the mud? Or mix the paint colors? I'm enjoying your posts and knowing I'm not the only one struggling and balancing and all that stuff as a mom and wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, It's amazing how difficult this can be. Sometimes I just want to sit and relax. Parenting is a task, on top of being a good wife as well. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm glad somebody reads these things. ha!

      Delete