Monday, December 9, 2013

Filling the Pages

This morning while looking for an address to send to a coworker, the design on Google's homepage caught my attention.



It is remembering Grace Hopper for her 107th birthday. I clicked (this link) to read about her story since I didn't know who she was. One click led to another as I was overwhelmed with people who have done so much in their lives, good and bad. I saw people who were famous for standing up for the things they believe in. The articles on those people always leave me with a big question mark. It makes me wonder what really happened. What was going on during that person's life? What were they thinking? Did they feel as influential as Wikipedia is telling the world that they were?

I probably won't be in Wikipedia one day. I will probably live my life and die without the vast majority of the US knowing my name. I am completely ok with that idea. I don't feel like I have been called to be in the spotlight. But that doesn't give me an excuse to do nothing. I might not have a book written about me or a movie recounting how I saved humanity but I can make a difference in the hearts and minds of the people I love. I can experience miracles. I can be a part of something bigger than myself.

I can write my own book. Now for the fun part of filling those pages. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the thought of making a difference with those you love and not having an excuse to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! I see it as an open door for opportunity.

      Delete