Thursday, July 18, 2013

I Choose Forgiveness


I forgive you.
I forgive you not because it's "the right thing to do".
Not because I like you.
Not because the pain has gone away or I have forgotten.
Because I haven't forgotten.
In my human element, I don't know if I will ever forget.
I forgive you not because you deserve it, but because God forgives me on a daily basis.
I forgive you because I refuse to let hurt, bitterness and anger govern my life.
I forgive you because I refuse to allow the choices of another human being to distract me from a much more important reality.
Sure, I'm living on this world with you, but I'm not of this world.
I don't care if you like my tattoos or if you think I need to lose weight.
I don't care if you look down on me for being a divorced single mom or having a car missing a bumper.
Your opinions of me and my decisions are inconsequential.
Forgiving you is hard and an almost daily battle.

It's amazing to me how forgiveness can change your perspective in life. It's amazing how in an instant an individual can go from sworn enemy to beggar in search of living water.

I forgive you.
I forgive you because your debt was paid.
And because I love you.
And because your sin is as far as the east is from the west.
Through a great and merciful God, we can wake up with a clean slate.
I forgive you because you are a beloved creation.
I forgive you because you were destined for great things. I don't know what those things are but if you seek God, He will show you His love and guidance.
I forgive you and choose to love you so that we can be on the same team to accomplish the will of God.
We are not living on this world for long, and we have so much to do.
I choose to accept our differences and embrace all the possibilities that they bring to the table.
I choose to encourage your strengths and partner with your weaknesses as I submit mine to you in true community.
Your opinion of me and my decisions will not sway my love for you.
Forgiving you is hard and an almost daily battle, but it's worth it.

It's worth it because it's not about me. It's not about my heart being broken, because I have a personal relationship with a miraculous healer who has more than the mere bandaid that modern day society can offer.

I choose love.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice! So many people need to read and heed this - I know several.

    ReplyDelete