Friday, July 19, 2013

5 Min Fridays! Listen


Five Minute Fridays - Write for 5 straight minutes whatever is on your mind with no surplus of time spent editing or proof reading. 5 Minutes is the minimum, max is up to you and your creative juices.

Ready, Set, Go!

Earlier this week on my way to pick up little girl, I called six people. SIX. I will not name the five people who did not answer their phones, but merely be thankful for the sixth. I wanted to talk to someone. I wanted to just blow off the time spent in the car. I wanted to hear about their day and catch up with them a little. I wanted to tell someone about my day. I wanted to spend 15 minutes conversing with someone on something other than work! I wanted to "veg out" for a couple minutes and unwind.

Today on my drive to work, I immediately pulled out my phone to make a call. In the mornings, I know my contact list to talk to people is a lot more limited since normal people are sleeping. My mind immediately was drawn to calling my aunt. Sometimes we catch up in the mornings and talk about what's going on in our lives for a little bit. But then I remembered that she was taking care of my nieces and nephews this week and would be unavailable to talk. I was a little bummed because I wanted to talk to someone. (I've never been the introverted type as you can tell). Then I heard His sweet still small voice.

Just Listen.
 
But I want to talk to someone and hear about their day/weekend plans. I want to see if there is anything I can pray about for them.
 
Just Listen.
 
I was quiet for a moment and I noticed the beautiful clouds still reflecting a little bit of the sunrise. I started thinking about how when I get to the office I was so looking forward to drinking my coffee. That smell and that incredible sense of warmth. Yes. That is what I wanted. I started thinking about how when I wake up I don't immediately get excited about praying like I do about coffee. I don't think about how refreshed I will feel just by spending a few moments in His presence even though every time I come to Him, I am refreshed and filled with overflowing incalculable peace and joy.
 
I love you.
I want a relationship with you, not your to-do list.
I want to hear about your day.
I want you to bring your excitement to me just as you bring your worries.
I have something for you, something special.
I need you to listen to my instruction.
Slow your mind, and listen.


4 comments:

  1. I love how thoughtful you are during your 5 minutes...my 5 minutes would probably be a little more scattered and not so focused. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the words are just in you dying to come out so the 5 minutes is easy and flows nicely. Sometimes it is just cultivated creativity. Either way it's writing! Either way it is part of you being shared with us! I would love to hear, for 5 minutes, what you ate for breakfast. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No. Actually you were #1 and I was going to leave you a mail but its full!

      Delete