Saturday, August 8, 2015

What's the story?

A white knuckle grip and a shaking arm showed how heavily she relied on her cane.  Her feet slid against the concrete to put one foot in front of the next. It took a dedicated amount of time to get from the door to the end of the sidewalk. I couldn't peel my eyes from her; she was mesmerizing. White linen pants, and a light blue linen shirt buttoned all the way up to her gray wisps of hair.

She stopped. As she faced the tree there was a moment she just stared in silence. I feared she was lost until she took her glasses and phone out of her front pocket. She fumbled putting her glasses on and pulling the camera up, but she successfully took several pictures.

What was she doing there? What did that tree mean to her?

I imagined that she just got a call that her daughter's adoption went through. In her eagerness to finally be a grandparent, she was taking pictures of the tree to see if she could build a tree house or to put in a swing.

I imagined that this house was not in fact her house, but the house of her mom that just died. Maybe her dad is in a nursing home so she was taking a picture of the tree to get a quote to cut it down to get the house ready to sell.

I imagined that she was taking a picture of the names carved in the tree to remind her husband who she is and the love that was once so fresh in his now faded memory.

I imagined she is an artist who used to walk the streets and parks for inspiration, but she can't get around well anymore. So instead of giving up her passion, she was grabbing inspiration from what surroundings she could get to.

The thing is, I really don't know why she was taking a picture of the tree. I can ponder and guess and imagine, but unless I ask her what she was doing, I won't know.

Just like I don't know why the mom isn't disciplining her child like I would in the store.
Just like I don't know why that girl is emotional in church.
Just like I don't know why the store clerk was rude to me when I asked a question.

You don't know my story, but you can ask.
I don't know your story, but I would like to.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a way of capturing a depth of emotion in your writing, I enjoy them so much!

    ReplyDelete