Monday, August 3, 2015

Like a Honeycomb

Beautiful clear skies spanned as far as I could see and blessed me with a light cool breeze. I slowly pulled up to the red light and followed my ears to the country music to my left. The windows were down in their old red cherokee. His left arm rested outside of the window in the sort of familiar way like he had done it for years. She laughed and ruffled his hair before grabbing his hand. She tucked her hair behind her ear, but it just fell out as she pulled her knee up to her chest in the seat. She gazed out of the window like she was looking for shapes in the clouds. She looked so peaceful and blissfully happy. The wind blew a few strands of her hair out of the window and that's when I noticed that her hair was gray with some shiny silver streaks. She smiled and looked my way showing the wrinkles in the perfect shape that revealed just how often she smiled. There was a breathless moment that I had to take in her beauty as I smiled back.

I wonder if she knows how beautiful she is? Does she despise those wrinkles when she looks in the mirror, or does she see them as evidence of laughter and worry from hard times that she overcame. Do her hands only contain callouses she tries to hide or does she notice how elegantly they intertwine with the hand of her partner? 

In this moment, I distinctively heard the question "This is how I think of you." 

I have to admit that I don't think those things of me when I look in the mirror. I criticize and make mental lists of all the things that need to change. But he sees me as beautiful. 
"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24

"Let no corrupting come out of your mouths..." Ephesians 4:29

The first thing I noticed was her laugh, and how she was so attentive to her beau, not the wrinkles and the gray. I think she does too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment