Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bring the Rain


This morning on the radio I heard this chorus from a song by MercyMe:

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

Without a second thought I was just singing along and then in a still small voice I heard this:

Be careful what you ask for.

Then I had about a 30 second internal struggle that went something like this:

Wow, I really do need to be careful what I ask for. While singing this song, I am asking God to bring the rain, trials, hardships, etc if that's what it takes to praise Him.
              But I don't want it to rain. I don't want hardships.
But if it glorifies God then I DO want hardships because I know that it will only sharpen me to be more like Christ.
              But I really don't need any more financial trouble.
But if I am trusting in the Lord, He is in control and I have nothing to fear.
              But I really don't want sickness, pain, grief or obstacles.
But "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
              Ok, Jesus, if that's what is takes to praise you, bring the rain.

2 comments: