Monday, May 6, 2013

Addicted


Yesterday I had a cup of coffee.
This morning I had two cups of coffee.
Today at Subway I went to get my Dr. Pepper and SHAZAM it hit me like a ton of bricks.
I am addicted to caffeine. I joke about it all the time. I knew this already but I didn't really know it until today.

When I walk into my office, I am looking forward to and GENUINELY excited to get my cup of coffee. I hear the bubbling of the coffee maker brewing the coffee. I smell the sweet aroma filling the office. I ready my coffee cup and head toward the fridge for the creamer. I get small thrills from using different creamer and changing up the flavor every now and then.

But today when I was about to get my Dr. Pepper I was instantly convicted. I heard this question:

Where were these emotions this morning when you woke up to talk to Me and read My word?

Ouch, but true. I love reading my Bible. I love talking to the Lord. I love worshipping Him. But I have to be honest and admit that lately when I wake up in the morning, I do not have the same passion to read my Bible and talk to Him as I do when I am waiting for my coffee.

So I am saying goodbye to caffeine for now. I'm not saying goodbye to caffeine because of my health/diet. I'm saying goodbye to caffeine because I want to have the passion and excitement and desire to spend time with God that I have towards drinking my beloved coffee.

I have been learning so many things and God has been revealing Himself to me more than ever. I want to desire Him above anything and everything. Even something as silly as a cup of coffee. It might not seem like a big thing, but it was something that stuck out to me. And recently I learned that when the Spirit tells you to do something you need to obey, no matter how big or how small. I don't want anything in my life to be combatting my passion for God. He is my first love and first priority.

Psalm 119:18
Open my eyes, that I may behold the wondrous things out of Your law.

Psalm 37:4-5
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

I crave time with the Lord. I crave communion with the Spirit. I crave a bigger picture. I crave miracles. I crave passion and love overflowing from me so that others see Christ instead of me.

And that all is not only just possible but completely achievable! I just have to listen and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment